the open-source 3D knitting machine awakes.
Jun 30, 2015
Jun 21, 2015
the traditional sherry bodega—a system of selection and sorting operating on collections of casks representing many years worth of gradually aging wine—is a method that allows each bodega to produce a set of consistent products despite the inherently variable solera process for averaging the flavour of wine across many vintages. it takes years of continuous guided observation for the capataz, the foreman of the bodega, to learn the patterns in how casks of wine develop and what interventions in their development are possible and desirable.
the complexity and optionality of the solera system gives the capataz enormous freedom to move particular casks into and out of different criaderas and soleras; each capataz makes a slightly different set of intervention decisions; consistently made, the differences in these decisions generate distinctiveness in the bottled wine.
the physical bodega and the know-how of the capataz are, in combination, a large part of a technology for reproducing style in wine.
the fino room at bodegas tradición.
3 plaza cordobeses, 11408 - jerez de la frontera
Jun 10, 2015
1. The stranger, therefore, approaches the other group as a newcomer in the true meaning of the term. At best he may be willing and able to share the present and the future with the approached group in vivid and immediate experience; under all circumstances, however, he remains excluded from such experiences of its past. Seen from the point of view of the approached group, he is a man without a history.
2. Every word and every sentence is, to borrow a term of William James, surrounded by 'fringes' connecting them, on the one hand, with past and future elements of the universe of discourse to which they pertain, and surrounding them, on the other hand, with a halo of emotional values and irrational implications which themselves remain ineffable. The fringes are the stuff poetry is made of; they are capable of being set of music but they are not translatable. There are in any language terms with several connotations. They, too, are noted in the dictionary. But, besides these standardized connotations, every element of the speech acquires its special secondary meaning derived from the context of the social environment within which it is used and, in addition, gets a special tinge from the actual occasion in which it is employed.
3. In any culture the highest rank is accorded to one of the three types of knowledge distinguished by [Max Scheler]—knowledge for the sake of domination (Beherrschungswissen), knowledge for the sake of knowing (Bildungswissen), knowledge for the sake of salvation (Heilswissen)—and therewith to one of the three types of men of knowledge: the scientist-technician, the sage, the saint. The social acceptance of this rank order determines the whole structure of the particular culture.
May 27, 2015
May 11, 2015
May 5, 2015
early morning (80mph) on I-94, dulzura, ca;
midday at sea port avenue on the salton sea, salton city, ca;
late afternoon on the montezuma-borrego highway, ranchita, ca;
sundown at torrey pines scenic drive, la jolla, ca.
May 1, 2015
Mar 28, 2015
Mar 23, 2015
Mar 10, 2015
Mar 4, 2015
Feb 16, 2015
Feb 13, 2015
When I was making A Sudden Gust of Wind I knew I wanted to show how the air would carry the papers. Hokusai had already solved some of those problems ... He composed something that had a feel of the accidental. It was not accidental, but he knew how to make it look that way ... There is no guide, it's just a feeling, a sense of the real, how things really are or would be.previously: katsushika hokusai reaches a marvellous stage.
Feb 11, 2015
Feb 7, 2015
- that lemon—it's nice.
- it's good, isn't it?
- how often do you replace it?
- every week, in fact. it's an important detail.
- very nice.
- betty up there is responsible for the lemon. she terrorises the sainsburys staff.
- it's difficult to find a lemon the same shape as the last one. but she always does.
castle road, cambridge CB3 0AQ